Want a way to increase your visibility online and even get on the radar of some of the influencers (including journalists) in your industry?
(OF COURSE you do!)
Comment on their articles and blog posts.
By adding smart, helpful, thoughtful comments, you will stand out.
If you frequently visit and leave comments on sites where your ideal client “hangs out” online, you’ll get valuable exposure to a targeted audience.
Even better, many sites even include a photo of you and link to your website with your comment – that’s like free advertising!
Visit regularly, keep adding value to the community and over time, you’ll form a relationship with the site owners and authors, too.
I’ve made business friends, found great resources and been interviewed by people I “met” through commenting on blogs and articles.
It’s really that easy. But it may not happen overnight. Showing up consistently is key.
The folks who put their sweat and tears into writing terrific articles and blog posts really do want to hear from you. So does their audience. But a ho-hum “good article” or “great tips” won’t cut it.
If you’re looking to stand out online, you gotta add a little something extra.
Stumped for ideas? Here are five to spark your commenting flow:
- Comment + Expand – React to what you’ve read by commenting and expanding on the article’s idea. Share something from your personal story or experience related to the topic. Talk about results you’ve gotten or make a suggestion.
- Comment + Extend – This is a “yes and…” type of comment. What else can you add to the conversation that’s interesting or helpful? Extend the article or posts idea by sharing an idea of your own or a resource.
- Comment + New Angle – Offer another way to look at the topic or a different approach to solve a problem.
- Comment + Contrary– Find yourself disagreeing with the writer? Feel free to share that in your comment, along with the reasons behind your contrarian stance. A little difference of opinion can spice up a string of complimentary comments.Just be sure that you express your opinion intelligently and respectfully. Most authors invite thoughtful dialogue – it generates greater interest in the post among all readers.
- Comment + a Comment – Like a comment you’ve just read? Have another idea to expand on it? Think the commenter is way off base? Comment on another commenter!
Your fame building assignment:
This week, pick three blogs or websites read by your ideal client or an influencer you want to connect with. Read a few of the articles and posts. Add your comments.
Next, schedule a specific 5 minute time slot on your calendar once or twice each week to visit, read and comment. Watch your network and reputation grow, superstar!